I think these are Lungwort species, gathered parsimoniously from my friend’s apple trees in Humboldt county.
Yarns were mordanted for three days, then left to cure for a few more. In the meantime, I cut up this lichen and boiled it for an hour to release its dyes.
After three days in the dye bath the yarns were very light, so I heated them in hopes of increasing saturation. Each mordanted sample stayed in its own glass jar, which I placed in a double boiler surrounded by water, gently simmered for an hour, then left outside to cool and steep a day or two.
The fabrics aren’t much to speak of, but I absolutely adore the wool results. They make me pant and drool with lust. They range from a delicate ecru, to shades of honey, maple, and bronze. It’s hard to tell in these photos, but the color is deep and complex. The yarns practically glow. I am as happy with these as I am with my final bougainvillea yarns.
I used only tiny samples, so I have enough lichens left to dye a decent amount of yarn. I’m going to spin some fine silk and wool, purpose-made for the job.
I think these lichen dyes would be glorious combined with rust-dyed fabric, but I’m currently mordanting on a more stringent program I read about here, in hopes of getting a permanent, vibrant bougainvillea on cotton. It’ll take about ten days. I’ll let you know what happens!