The last time I dyed with these (which was also the first time) I had trouble getting a pure yellow from the root—after a short time on the heat, the dye was tinged with black. I thought I’d found a way around it, and I tried that again this time.
I was wary when the particular roots I was cutting were not as vibrant as the ones I cut last autumn.
I was suspicious when the dye stock again became tinged with black.
Nevertheless, I threw in three pieces of cotton, mordanted in milk, soy, and the ubiquitous pee.
Alas, no good. This yellow dock has again supported my hypothesis that Brown Is Easy.